You have probably seen or heard of the famous Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo. If not check out the image below. It is famous for being one of the most busy and crazy street crossing in the world. People can cross the street from every direction. It is a must see when visiting Tokyo!
The view you see above is the highest, and I think best overhead view you can get of the crossing. It can be difficult to find and you have to know exactly what you are doing or you will be denied access. The view is located on the 25th floor of the Excel Hotel in the Shibuya Market City. You can watch this video I made with a detailed guide to find your way there and all the tips to get to the top without getting denied by the hotel staff. If you prefer to read, the written guide is below the video.
Here are the written directions:
1. Go to the Shibuya station
2. Walk or exit the station from Shibuya Market City
3. Walk to the right until you see the entrance to the Excel Hotel
4. Enter the elevator and go to the 5th floor (you will be stoped if you take the first elevator to the 25th floor without a reservation to the restaurant or hotel room key)
5. Exit on the 5th floor and walk straight to the next set of elevators
6. Get on the elevator with someone who is staying at the hotel (the elevator requires a key card to work)
7. Take the elevator to the 25th floor
8. When you exit you will see the best view of Shibuya Crossing
There you have it, your guide to the best view of one of the best and most popular sights in Tokyo. I recommend keeping your camera out of sight until you get to the top. If not you are just asking to stick out and get stopped by the hotel.
Let me know if you you use this guide and how it works out for you in the comments below. Don’t forget to tag me (@travelmanjames) in your shots so I can see what you are able to capture!